Model NetCDF data
For ease of comparing observations and models, it has been decided to create a common model format, based around NetCDF. has written a program that converts the ascii data from ECMWF, the Met Office and Meteo France into this new format, and preliminary output is shown on this page.
- The following variables are not provided by all models so are not included in all of the netcdf files:
- Screen temperature and surface altitude (not available from Meteo France)
- Downwelling longwave and shortwave (not avaialble from Meteo France)
- Latent and sensible heat fluxes (not available from Met Office)
- Convective cloud fraction (Met Office only: included as a bonus!)
- The following variables would be desirable but are only produced by one model so have not been included:
- Surface clear-sky fluxes
- Large-scale precipitation fraction
- The Meteo France specific humidity values go negative (although the corresponding relative humidities do not) which makes the calculated radar gas attenuations explode.
- There is no indication yet in the files of which forecast each hour of data came from, especially important as some files are a concatenation of more than one forecast. I suggest a forecast_time(time) variable which gives the time in hours since the forecast was initialized, for each hour of the day.
These pages are maintained by .
Return to Radar Group | Department of Meteorology | University of Reading